Here’s a quick and easy recipe of Chayote Squash Chutney (popularly called as Seemebhadnekai in Kannada).
- Chayote Squash (2 pieces)
- Onion (1 piece)
- Tamarind Paste (1 tbsp)
- Coconut grind (1 cup)
- Green Chilli (1 piece)
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Coconut oil (1 tbsp)
- Mustard Seeds, Cumin, Urad Dal, Asafoetida, Curry Leaves for Tempering / Tadka
- Salt to taste
- Chop the Squashes and onion into even sizes. Slice the chilli into 2 long pieces.
- Take a bowl. Add the chopped squashes, chilli pieces, chopped onions and tamarind paste into it and pour just enough water to immerse them all. Boil them for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile grate a cup of coconut.
- Add the grated coconut, salt to taste and the boiled squashes mixture into a mixer and grind it to a paste. Let this be thick and not watery. Pour it to a bowl. Chutney is ready.
- Time to do the tadka. Heat some coconut oil. Add Mustard seeds, Cumin, Urad Dal and Asafoetida in the same order. Add some curry leaves and let it splutter. Pour the tempering to the chutney. Chop some Coriander leaves finely and garnish it on the top of chutney.
Chayote Squash Chutney is now ready to eat! You may have this with Chapathi, Dosa, Idli or even rice.
Happy Chutney-ing! 😃